How to Create an Altar for Your Pet
Collars, toys, beds, bowls, favorite blankets. All these things are going to remain after your pet dies. They will be there as a reminder to your loss, and I know it is so hard to throw these things out.
Have you considered using these items to create an altar for your pet?
First, clear a space on a table, mantle, bookshelf, or even out in the yard in his or her favorite hang out. Then just add those objects, collar, tags, blanket, that remind you most of your pet.
Some general ideas are:
- Framed picture of your cat or dog (or other loved one, of course).
- Candle to burn in his or her honor.
- Poem you or your children have written.
- Jewelry box to hold small items.
- Mini shelf or actual altar on which to place items (you can purchase altars from most new age stores or build your own).
- Use a bowl to hold all the items.
Just be creative. Let your family help, they can come up with some creative ideas and feel part of the healing process as well.
What about the blankets and beds? Have you thought of making a memorial quilt? Cut out some pieces of the fabric and sew them together. Or find a pillow and simply sew a bit of the fabric onto it, maybe embroidering your pet’s name under it.
You can also buy a shadow bos and put collars, pictures, leashes, toys and more in there.
Make a pet memorial scrapbook. All your favorite pictures, some poems or funny stories of your pet’s antics. Use the collar, tags, blanket to decorate either inside or on the cover.